people's Lawyer


You Have A Right To Appeal

If either side is not happy with the decision of the court, he or she has a right to appeal. An appeal must be filed within 21 days of the judgment or 21 days from the denial of a motion for a new trial or motion to set aside. If you desire to appeal, you must file a Notice of Appeal in the county court within 21 days after the case was decided in the justice court. Speak with the justice court clerk if you need help. The party who wishes to appeal must file a bond, make a cash deposit or file a sworn statement of inability with the court no later than the 20th day after the judgment is signed or the motion for new trial is denied. A plaintiff must file a bond of $500, and a defendant must file a bond in twice the amount of the judgment.

Remember, the party you are suing also can appeal if he chooses. If this happens, be sure to appear at the second trial or the judge in the county court may rule against you. The clerk at the county court will notify you if the defendant has appealed.

An appeal to county court involves a much more formal proceeding than the one in justice court. In many cases, it will be necessary to have an attorney assist you with an appeal.