Here is a list of other useful web sites I've found on the web.
Looking for Texas state agency? Click here for a list and contact information.
Do you have questions about Social security? http://www.ssa.gov/includes/topiclist.htm
- Do you need an attorney but cannot afford one? Try Lone Star Legal Services
- In Houston, Houston Volunteer Lawyers may be able to help.
- The State Bar also has a Lawyer Referral Service and there is a Houston Lawyer referral service as well.
- For general information about selecting a lawyer, click here.
- If you have a complaint about a lawyer, the State Bar of Texas may be able to help.
Assistance with criminal matters http://www.texasatj.org/LegalServicesandOth10DA2/index.asp#CRIMINAL%20DEFENDANTS
These sites can save you money and time if you are buying, selling, building or renovating a house:
- Find out if you can afford a house: http://www.mortgage-calc.com
- If you want to build or remodel yourself: http://www.doityourself.com
- A Moving calculator: http://moving.move.com/move/tools/movingcalc.asp
- An instant estimate of your home's value: http://www.zillow.com
- Home price comparison calculator: http://hpci.coldwellbanker.com
- Save money on ready made blueprints: http://www.homeplans.com
- Sell it yourself: http://www.forsalebyowner.com
- A guide to renovation: http://www.letsrenovate.com
- Inspiration for home remodelers: http://www.houseblogs.net
- Real estate window shopping: http://www.realtor.com
- Answers to your real estate legal questions: http://www.real-estate-law.freeadvice.com
- Aerial view of neighborhoods: http://www.homepages.com
- Find out what insurance is right for your home: http://www.iii.org/individuals/HomeownersandRentersInsurance/
- Shop around for loans: http://www.bankrate.com
- Finding the best school district: http://www.schoolmatters.com
- Find a renter for your beach house: http://www.cyberrentals.com
Houston Bar Association
-This is a very useful website containing lots of information about the law. I especially recommend its "Kidzone" as well as the Consumer and Family law handbooks, published in many languages.
-Useful information about your legal rights.
- Check out a list of all state lemon laws.
-To learn about product recalls, check out the following links:
- http://www.recalls.gov/ for information on latest product recalls
- www.cpsc.gov operated by the Consumer product safety Commission
- www.fda.gov operated by the Food and drug Administration
- www.nhtsa.gov operated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fsis_Recalls/index.asp operated by the Agriculture Department
- www.safechild.net operated by Consumer federation of America
-"It's designed to provide helpful, up-to-date information to consumers seeking a better understanding of their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers. "
-Divorce Interactive is a comprehensive divorce resource containing divorce and family law information on child support, custody, alimony and visitation issues; divorce advice; and a directory of support groups, attorneys, mediators and other divorce professionals.
-A do itself divorce site with information about the law in all fifty states (not recommended when there are children involved).
-Obtaining a copy of your medical records.
Department of Public Safety
-This site contains the Sex Offender Database and additional information on child molestation plus other public safety issues and driver's information.
-TexCare Partnership offers two separate childrens health insurance programs. Both programs provide health insurance for children at a price that fits the budgets of Texas families.
Children's Health Insurance Program
-This insurance program is designed for families who earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid health care, yet cannot afford to buy private insurance.
-The official web site of the Social Security administration. Contains much useful information and a guide to understanding Social Security.
-Articles and updates on Medicare and Medicaid and other issues of interest to seniors.
-Oldest and largest eldercare sourcebook on the web. Information, links and articles for seniors.
-A copy of the Texas statute govern probate matters.
- Do you have a questions about health law and policy?
- Want to know more about your rights when you travel on an airline?
Consumer Law Center
- An organization that primarily provides legal information but has some information the layperson.
- A comprehensive legal and government site with over 15,000 pages and 30,000 links.
of American Bar Association-approved Law Schools
- Are you interested in going to law school? Check the ABA's website.
- What to learn more about the constitution of the United States?
of Chicago Law Library
- A great source of legal information and a complete up-to-date list of legal listservs.
Government Consumer Gateway
- Directs consumer to the appropriate government agency.
Stop Business Center
- Join the over 45,000 small businesses who have contacted the One Stop Business Center as their first step on the road to success.
- For information about the law in other states, or, to find an attorney.